Skip to main content

Fall Show Preview

The 2018 Network TV Season Is Upon Us!!!

I am SO excited that America's favorite TV shows are back along with some promising new shows premiering. I wanted to take the liberty to let y'all know the shows I usually watch and which new ones I am going to try to get into this year and a bit of preview on what happened the first week. I'll try not to give out too many spoilers, but I can't promise anything!

First up on my list of shows I'm watching this fall is The Resident on Fox. Basically, Logan from Gilmore Girls plays a smoking hot medical resident with a major badass attitude at a reputable hospital in Atlanta, GA. I watched it last season mainly because I knew one of my favorite actresses from CSI:NY had signed on as a main cast member and I had to see what that was all about. Long story short, it was actually a pretty good first season and I'm excited to see what the new season brings. As I write this, I have just watched the first two episodes of season 2 which did not disappoint. If you like medical dramas and Logan from Gilmore Girls I would definitely recommend!

Next up on my lineup is The Good Doctor on ABC. I watched the first season and I have to admit it was subpar for my taste. It was slow at times and focused too much (in my opinion) on the personal/love lives of the doctors. I did enjoy the overall story of Dr. Murphy overcoming his struggles with autism to be an outstanding surgical resident. I will watch season 2 with an open mind in hopes that some casting changes and new storylines can spice it up and keep my attention.

Next up is an all-American favorite; This Is Us. It actually took me a couple of months to hop on this bandwagon because I wasn't sure I'd like the show, but my sister got me to watch the pilot with her while I was home for Thanksgiving during my senior year of college and I was sold. Once I saw Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia's chemistry I was obsessed with the show. The premise of the show is genius in my opinion and it is unlike any other show that has aired on TV. This show hits home for me in a lot of ways, and although some episodes are tough to watch (aka Super Bowl Sunday), it keeps pulling me in week after week and I can't wait to see what happens with the Pearson's this season! I NEED to find out who Tess, Randall, and Toby are talking about at the end of the season 3 premiere...

I have a problem.. I am addicted to medical dramas. Next on my list is New Amsterdam on NBC. This show caught my attention because it is supposedly based on the true story of Bellevue Hospital in NYC. Add in an attractive male lead and the general premise of "changing the system" and you have my attention. The pilot which aired last week exceeded my expectations and I am very anxious to see how the rest of the season progresses! My hopes are very high for this show!

For all of my Sons of Anarchy friends out there... I finally watched the pilot of the Mayans. And I. Am. PUMPED. Kurt Sutter has created another masterpiece and I am so stoked to see what crazy twists and turns he brings us with this show. I can't wait until some of our living SAMCRO members make some cameos!! Or for some flashbacks of Jax and Opie... A girl can hope, right?! But OMG. Can I just say that Danny Pino's character could literally run me over with a truck and I'd say thank you..? HOLY. SEXUALNESS. HOT. DAMN. Okay I need a cold shower now. 

Next up, the One Chicago Universe. I am proud to admit I am a ChiHard and that I have watched all 3 shows religiously ever since Chicago Fire premiered my senior year of high school. Chicago Med surprised me with the exit of (spoiler alert) Dr. Reese; I did not see that coming at all. I was really hoping they would dive deeper into the story of her serial killer father. I really enjoyed her character and I hope that maybe one day she will return to Chicago Med (maybe as Dr. Charles's replacement if he ever retires?!). Who else is excited for the #Manstead wedding?! 😍 And who doesn't enjoy seeing Dr. Rhodes on their screen.. ;) Chicago Fire was fabulous as always. I am not that sad over seeing Gabby leave, but I do wonder how the writers will work out her marriage to Matt. In my (unpopular) opinion, Matt deserves better and I hope he is able to let go and move on. I am curious to see how this storyline with Grissom will work out; I think this could be one of the better storylines of the show. Chicago PD was amazing as always. Seeing Antonio and Ruzek go at it had me feeling all types of ways (mainly attraction towards Ruzek... his bad boy personality just does something to me 😏) but honestly, Antonio was being kind of a dick. The last 2 minutes of the season premiere had me feeling so many emotions. I thought it was low key shitty of Meredith to ban Voight from Olinsky's funeral... like he needs to mourn too and he has the right to pay his respects to his friend. But any scene depicting funerals with police/military honors always get me. I have to fight flashbacks to my dad's funeral every time I see one. Anyone who has witnessed a funeral with military honors knows that it is the most beautiful ceremony nobody ever wants to see. The writers and directors for this episode did an outstanding job and I am very excited to see how this season progresses. 

Next in my lineup is a new show airing this fall; A Million Little Things on ABC. I thought this was gonna be the ABC ripoff of This Is Us, but it definitely has its own spin on it and made it its own story. I loved the little plot twist at the very beginning with Rome, and every other surprise just made the episode that much better. I am very curious as to how the show will progress throughout the season and which secrets will be revealed. I do wonder if this show has the potential to go on for more than 1 or 2 seasons.. I guess only time will tell. I will definitely stick with this show because of the interesting storyline and because I love Ron Livingston (the actor who plays Jon). He has been in a number of other TV shows and movies I enjoy and I think he is a great actor.

Add another one to my medical drama library... Grey's. I have yet to sit down and watch the premiere but I am not in a mad rush to do so. I really hope that this is the last season for this show. It is time. As much as I love this show and have stuck with it through EVERYTHING Shonda has brought on us, it is time to say goodbye to GSM and its doctors. Ever since they killed of Derek, the show has been lackluster (in my opinion) and the storylines have gotten dryer. Now that April and Arizona are gone, I really don't think the show will continue to receive great ratings. I am curious to see if Meredith can find her next love, but we all know that it won't be as great as Derek. 

Cheers to the 2018 TV Season! May all of our beloved characters stay alive and happy and may our favorite shows continue to receive good ratings so they can be renewed in the spring 😁




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banana Bread-Bottom Cheesecake

YUM. I am not a huge fan of banana bread, but after trying this recipe, I am in love! I saw this recipe on my Tasty app and thought, "what the heck, let's try it out"! The banana bread part of it was so moist and so yummy, and the cheesecake part was great because it wasn't as rich as regular cheesecake (less guilt after eating it!) Here is the ingredients list for the banana bread layer: 4 ripe bananas (the riper, the better!) 4 tbsp. vegetable oil 1 egg 1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp. vanilla extract 1.5 cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. baking soda 1/4 tsp. salt 1 tsp. cinnamon For the cheesecake part: 32 oz. (4 blocks) cream cheese, softened* 1/2 cup sugar 1 tbsp. vanilla extract 1 cup milk 1 tbsp. gelatin powder caramel sauce, to taste *I always use reduced fat cream cheese whenever I make a cheesecake, and I have found no difference in texture or richness compared to cheesecakes made with "full-fat" cream cheese.
The House That Built Me Tonight as I write this post, a part of me is feeling very sad and nostalgic. Tonight is my last night in my childhood home. Tomorrow is the day I drive back to Chicago so I can go back to work on Monday. Because the fall sports pre-season is such a hectic time for our athletic department, along with classes starting up at the end of August, I am very unsure if I will be able to come back for one last visit to my childhood home in Michigan before my mom sells the house and moves into her new one.  Let me explain this in a little more detail so y'all can understand what is happening in my life right now: Right now, my mom and stepdad (Dan) are in the process of building a brand new house in New Boston, which is about 25 miles from our house right now in Dearborn Heights. Dan used to live in Brownstown, which is not far from New Boston, but ever since he and my mom started dating 6 years ago, the drive from his house to ours became pretty rough. After